Rasam is a south Indian curry/soup usually had with rice. It is made with tamarind, tomatoes, pepper, cumin, garlic, lentils etc. It is called saaru or chaaru in Telugu and Kannada. In the traditional 3 course south Indian meal, it is usually had as a second course with sambhar being the first course and curd being the grand finale.
• Tamarind- lime sized
• Tomato – 1 (finely chopped or crushed)
• Green Chilly – 1
• Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
• Water – 3 cups
• Salt – to taste
• Oil – 2 tbsp
• Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
• Curry leaves – 7 leaves
• Asafoetida powder – 1/2 tsp
• Coriander leaves (cilantro) – handful (chopped)
Rasam Powder (Masala) Ingredients
• Black Peppercorns – 3 tsp
• Cumin seeds – 2 tsp
• Coriander Seeds – 1/2 tsp
• Toor Dal – 1 tsp
• Red Chilly – 1 or 2
• Garlic – 3-4 cloves (crushed)
• Curry leaves – few
1. Coarsely grind all the items under ‘rasam powder ingredients’. I prefer to add the garlic while making this rasam powder. Some people crush and add the garlic separately.
2. Soak the tamarind in 1 cup of warm water for 5 minutes to extract the tamarind juice.
3. Heat little oil in a pan and pop the mustard seeds and curry leaves.
4. Add the rasam masala, crushed green chilly and chopped tomato.
5. Let it cook for couple of minutes until the tomatoes become soft and juicy. A nice aroma of the roasted spices will come.
6. Now add tamarind juice, turmeric powder, asafoetida, salt, finely chopped coriander leaves (cilantro) and about 3 cups of water.
7. When the rasam is about to boil, you will see it foaming. Switch it off at this stage before it comes to a full boil.
8. Transfer to a serving dish and keep it covered with a lid to retain its aroma until you are ready to serve.
• Plain white rice with rasam and paapad is an excellent combination. It can be served with some simple poriyal or vegetable fry or some non veg dry preparations. You can also serve it as a warm soup.
DO YOU HAVE SUCH RECIPES?
Earn through your recipes . JOIN US at www.mysignaturefood.in
MY SIGNATURE FOOD provides you the platform to showcase the talent of Home chefs by their signature dishes. Not only this, picking up the food from your home and delivering it is our responsibility.
All you need to do is cook a delicious meal and earn!
So what are you waiting for, sign up for free now at www.mysignaturefood.in and earn through your home cooked food.